Most Beautiful Places in Hawaii-Here is the list of top Tourist Attractions & Best beaches...
Love is in the air of Greece that is why this island country is one of the most picked-up romantic destinations. And Santorini, Greece is the best among all the Islands. Dive into the ancient Greek culture with these popular Santorini tourist attractions and know why it still inspires the world.
Multicolored cliffs soar out of a sea-drowned Caldera Santorini, topped by drifts of whitewashed buildings that’s how the island can easily be introduced. It is the supermodel of the Greek islands, a head-turner whose face is instantly recognizable around the world.
It’s not a surprise that this island tops the bucket list of every traveler for dazzling panoramas, romantic sunsets, and volcanic-sand beaches.
5 Santorini Attractions For A Heavenly Experience
#1. Pyrgos- Old Capital of Santorini
The old capital of this volcanic island, Pyrgos, is still a site to explore. And it is extremely beautiful and unbelievable. The whitewashed cottages with blue-hued domes are simply amazing. The neat architectures and uniquely designed buildings capture the attention of millions of tourists.
Don’t think only castles of Pyrgos are worth seeing, check out these things to do in Pyrgos:
- Santo Winery near the beautiful Aegean Sea will make your evening memorable
- Spend a lazy day at Kamari Beach
- Red beach in Akrotiri is a unique place with red mountains surrounding turquoise beach water
- Sunset is the best time to adore the beauty of Pyrgos and Santorini cruise is the best way to do it
- Cable car tours are also available for fun lovers
Nearest Airport: Kalamata, Kithira, Zante, Athens, MILOS, and Patras are 6 closest airports that connect Pyrgos with other parts of Greece
Where to stay: Zorbas hotel, impressive one, Skyfall Suites ( only for adults)
Places to eat: Agaze Bistro restaurant, Penelope’s, and Rymidi are top 3 for enjoying a heavenly Greek cuisine
#2. Castle of Agios Nikolaos
One of the best things to do in Santorini, Greece is watching the sunset. Though every location is perfect for gazing at the sun, Oia castles are famous among tourists. However, they are very crowded during peak seasons so come to the 3 blue domes of Oia.
If you are anywhere in Kamari or Fira, the castle is pretty closer to the Airport. You can take a bus or drive to the castle of Agios Nikolaos easily for a breathtaking sunset view. But come early as with time place get heavily flooded with tourists.
Opening times: 24 hours a day
Other things to do in Oia, Santorini:
- Take a walk to Domaine Sigalas, a classic Greek winery dated back to 90s
- Therasia in Oia is a rustic small island but a very peaceful spot to enjoy Santorini holidays
- Photogenic Oia Byzantine Castle ruins
- Enjoy the hot springs of Nea Kameni
- Thira maritime museum and Oia art gallery should be on your bucket list
Places to stay: Ikies traditional houses, Kirni Suits & Spa, and Santo Maris Suites are the best hotels among couples
Must-visit food destinations: Dimitris for grilled octopus, Paradox Thai food & bar, Restuarante Pizza Edwin
#3. Gorgeous Views Of Fira
If Pyrgos is for its modern-day buildings, Fira is for its historical and archaeological sites. Holidays in Santorini are incomplete without a trip to Fira Most of the livelihood of this small capital city comes from tourism. So, expect a lot from Fira.
Tourist Attractions in Fira, Santorini
- Prehistoric Museum of Thira
- Skaros Rock for hiking
- Iconic 3 bells blue-domed church
- Megaro Gizi for a deep insight into Fira’s history
- Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral
Cheap hotels in Fira: Enigma Suites, Costa Marina Villa, Nefeles Suites Hotel( close to Santorini cable car)
Takeaway restaurants: Taste the mouthwatering Greek recipes like Fava me Koukia at- Falafeland, Anemoloos, Nick The Grill
Nearby Airports: Paros, Santorini JTR, Mykonos, Heraklion, and Naxos
#4. Imerovigli For Tourists Seeking Some Space
If you hate crowds but want a closer view of the island then Imerovigli is one of the best places to visit in Santorini. Though the village is pretty small and has no cafes and shopping malls; you will be enjoying yourself here. Imerovigli is a food paradise and has some of the best restaurants in Santorini.
Thira Airport is very close to the town and even if you are in Fira getting to Imerovigli is fast from Santorini JTR.
Best resorts in Imerovigli: Avaton Resort, Aenaon Villas, and Honeymoon Petra Villas
Where can I eat in Imerovigli?
- Kapari Wine is a great place as it serves gastronomic recipes
- If you are taking your partner on a romantic date, La Maison is the best dining place
- The avocado restaurant is special for its Mediterranean and gluten-free recipes
Things to do in Imerovigl, Santorini
- Since it is at the highest point of Santorini, you should not miss the breathtaking vistas
- The entire town is full of cobbled alleys and streets that would make you want to click more photos. Nefelis Homes is a picturesque location, don’t miss it.
- Boat tours are famous here
- Relaxing at Avaton Spa and Cave Santorini Spa is another best thing to do in Santorini’s charming town.
Also Read: Greece Vacations- Places to visit in Greece
#5. Black Sand Beaches, Perissa
Nature has painted the entire island with unique colors. One of those tourist attractions in Santorini is the black sand beach- Exomitis beach. The wide 3.5 km beach at the end of Perissa has a black color of sand that comes from the volcanoes.
The location is 30 minutes away from the capital city Fira. If you don’t own a vehicle then take a bus from the city to Perissa. Rental vehicles are available to reach the Exomitis beach.
After capturing some photos of the beach and relaxing, start your journey from these best places to visit in Perissa, Santorini.
- Only a mile away is the Church of Tlmios Stavros which is very impressive and worth visiting
- Santorini dive center is closest to the beach where you can rent scuba and snorkeling stuff and enjoy
- There is a museum of minerals and fossils in the village where you’ll find 50,000 years old fossils. Some are even a billion years old. It opens around 10 am and closes at 2 pm.
- The ancient Thira should be the next spot in Perissa. However, it is a very challenging destination as reaching there takes 22 U-turns on a winding road.
- Chill out at Tranquilo bar and enjoy vegetarian cuisine
Popular hotels: Sellada Beach hotel, Petra Nera, Daylight hotel
When To Visit Santorini?
The shoulder-season months of April, May, early June, late September, and October are better times to visit. Things are marginally quieter at the caldera Santorini, and considerably quieter on the east coast. The peak travel time for the perfect Santorini Holidays is in July and August when prices soar and hotels, viewpoints, and beaches are packed with tourists.